Moving into an assisted living community is a big commitment and it’s important you and your loved ones feel confident, comfortable and happy with the community you select. Here are some helpful questions to ask when researching different options and help narrow down your search to the right choice:
- Where is the assisted living communitylocated? Is it close to friends and family? Does your loved one know the area and enjoy it? These questions will help narrow down your geographic search. If your loved one likes the area and has good social and family connections in the neighborhood then the move is likely to be an easier, more positive adjustment for everyone.
- Can we take a tour? An onsite visit is a great way to meet the staff, find out what they offer and get a general feel for the community. Ask about their services, what the culture is like and what a typical day includes. If your loved one is in fairly good health, don’t skip the more advanced care facilities. In planning for the future, it’s best to ask about dementia and Alzheimer’s care, as well as palliative care, so that you have well-rounded knowledge of all the services they offer.
- How much does it cost? The cost of assisted living is one of the biggest variables when looking for the right community, especially as healthcare costs have increased dramatically in recent years. As a not-for-profit, United Methodist Homes is committed to being good stewards of our finances and controlling costs. Care costs are calculated after an assessment and based on individual needs and requirements. Our Fellowship Fund supports our charitable mission and helps to keep our residents in our communities.
- What are my priorities? This is a question that seniors and caregivers need to ask themselves to help narrow down their search. Does your loved one have Alzheimer’s or dementia? Is he or she looking for a lively, involved community? Do you want a facility that only provides independent living services or one that can meet your loved one’s needs whatever the future holds?
- What is the reputation of the facility? In order to make an informed decision it’s important to conduct the necessary research. Be sure to check reviews and find references, and of course, take a tour yourself.
Quality care at United Methodist Homes of NJ
At United Methodist Homes of New Jersey, we prioritize the quality of life, independence and dignity for all our residents. With services designed to meet your loved one’s needs, even as they change, we offer seniors a chance to build a life within our active and welcoming assisted living communities. With a wide range of services and care options, we can assist seniors with anything from day-to-day support to skilled nursing and advanced Alzheimer’s and dementia care.
This content was originally posted at http://www.umh-nj.org/blog/questions-to-ask-when-researching-assisted-living-communities-facilities-in-new-jersey/