Staying healthy isn’t just about living longer, it’s about living better too. Keeping active as we age is directly linked to maintaining our quality of life as well as fighting mental and physical conditions. Unfortunately, it can become more and more of a challenge as we get older. Here are some great tips from Pitman Manor senior living community:
- Find an activity you enjoy: You’re far more likely to stick with an activity you enjoy, so take some time to explore your options. For example, if you loved hiking in your youth, then regular nature walks with friends and other seniors are a great choice.
- Don’t forget about mental exercise: Staying active isn’t just about physical health – mental fitness is just as important. Learning to play bridge, competing in crossword competitions and indulging in Sudoku are ideal mental challenges.
- Manage your stress levels: Stress is well known for negatively affecting our mental and physical wellbeing, so finding an effective outlet is a good way to keep your health on track. Many people find physical exercise helpful, while others prefer meditation or yoga. Relaxing social engagements with the people you love and enjoy are great ways to release stress as well.
- Good nutrition: It’s never too late to develop good eating habits. Proper nutrition can help fight a wide range of issues seniors often struggle with, from helping to control weight, osteoporosis, blood pressure and diabetes, to reducing your risk of heart disease.
- Annual checkups: Regular checkups are key to senior health, helping you stay in control of any health issues and deal with any emerging conditions effectively. Your top priorities should include your eye doctor and dentist, as well as any specialists you require.
- Take preventative measures: Falls are among the most common reasons for seniors needing medical treatment and, as we get older, it often becomes harder to heal and bounce back from injuries. Although staying physically healthy is a great way to combat this, removing hazards in your home is vital to preventing injuries in the first place. Rugs that can be tripped over, stairs, poor lighting and bathrooms without grab bars are good examples of hazards which should be dealt with.
Pitman Manor Assisted Living – Simple living, great quality of life
Pitman Manoris an assisted living community dedicated to helping older adults live full, happy lives. With an active community spirit, great amenities, spacious studio apartments, expert medical care and tailored support services designed to maximize independence, we’re a welcoming space for seniors to really feel at home.
For more information, please contact us today to schedule a tour or visit http://www.pitman-manor.umh-nj.org/assisted-living-gloucester-county-nj/.
This content was originally posted at http://www.umh-nj.org/blog/six-simple-and-effective-health-tips-for-seniors/