When researching assisted living communities, most of us prioritize important things such as the quality of the residential apartments, services offered, quality of care and costs. However, social interaction plays a crucial role in the quality of life of assisted living residents. The Shore’s assisted living community is dedicated to providing residents with the opportunity to lead an abundant life and here’s why:
- Strengthen relationships: Having a diverse social circle that embraces different activities helps to build new relationships and strengthen established ones, keeping your loved one in touch, and busy and enjoying life.
- Mental stimulation: Interacting socially with a range of people through different activities provides essential mental stimulation which is key to a healthy, functional brain. Studies show stimulation has been known to help reduce mental decline, lower the risk of dementia-related conditions and depression.
- Build confidence and trust: Seniors with active social lives are open to trying new things, building new skills and achieving goals – helping to build self-confidence and achieve personal ambitions. By working together with others, relationships are built on a healthy foundation of trust, creating an environment where concerns can be shared and support is available.
- Increased physical health and reduced stress: Social activities can help seniors stay physically active, maintaining essential muscle strength and actively reducing harmful stress. Exercising in groups – whether in the form of gardening, nature walking or dancing – also helps keep seniors motivated to stay active and healthy.
Experience the social community spirit of United Methodist Homes
All of UMH’s assisted living communities place a strong emphasis on social interactions as part of our dedication to providing you or your aging loved one with the highest quality of life and care. While all activities are optional and seniors can participate as much or as little as they are comfortable with, we aim to deliver diverse offerings. Our support services minimize daily tasks and free up time for activities such as:
- Instrumental and vocal performances and choirs
- Line dancing
- Physical fitness classes
- Family days
- Book clubs
- Gardening clubs
- Church services
- Bake sales
- Card clubs
- Craft days
The Shores Assisted Living Community
We encourage residents to take advantage of the many recreational activities and social outings sponsored by The Shores. Our location provides an added opportunity for residents to enjoy the Music pier, Aquatic Center, golf course, beach, fishing, and more. For more information about assisted living at The Shores, please contact us today or visit http://www.the-shores.umh-nj.org/assisted-living-south-jersey/.
This content was originally posted at http://www.umh-nj.org/blog/the-importance-of-social-events-in-assisted-living-communities/