Hospice focuses on end-of-life care and many of us will have to consider it someday for parents, loved ones or ourselves. Finding the right provider is about choosing services that are appropriate for the patient’s needs, desires and budget. Here are some useful tips for making this important decision.
- Testimonials: Find out what people are saying about the hospice service providers you are considering – speak to local hospitals and doctors as well as families about their experiences.
- State licenses and accreditations: Each state has different licensing requirements for healthcare facilities to ensure that they are up to standard. Additional accreditations are not necessary, but they are considered a good indicator of quality services.
- Services: It’s important to know exactly what services will be provided and how your loved one will be cared for. While some hospice facilities offer more limited services and staff per patient, others provide a team of specialists to deliver holistic treatment, companionship and support to patients as well as their families.
- Staff: Ask about staff training and experience, as well as how the staff is expected to interact with the patient throughout the day. Will there be someone on duty 24-hours a day? What happens in the event of an emergency? Will they be able to assist you in the provision of any additional care to your loved one?
- Your impressions: If you want proper peace-of-mind, the best course is to visit the different facilities in person. This gives you a chance to get a good feel for the facility, their services and their staff. Scheduling a visit will ensure that you can properly tour the area, meet staff, ask any questions and evaluate their level of care.
Compassionate, personalized hospice care in South Jersey
The Shores, a United Methodist Communities campus servicing Cape May County, offers full-service hospice care as part of our our assisted living community. Known as Bridges, our hospice neighborhood provides high quality end-of-life care in a comforting and caring environment.
Run by an experienced and nurturing team ofassociates, we offer advanced therapies, emotional support and care within a customized personal care program.
For more information on United Methodist Communities at The Shores please contact us today and visit us for a personal tour
Original content posted on https://umcommunities.org/blog/5-things-consider-looking-hospice-care/.