As we age, our immune systems can weaken, making us more vulnerable to infections and making recovery more difficult. Fortunately, there are ways in which we can help support our immune systems to fight off infections more effectively. Here are some tips from our assisted living community in Camden County, NJ.
- Flu vaccinations: Seasonal flu viruses are especially difficult to treat in the elderly and very young children, so getting an annual vaccine is important. Studies have shown that this significantly decreases the rates of sickness and death in seniors.
- Exercise: A physically healthy body has a much better immune system, and regular exercise is key to achieving this. Walking, cycling, yoga, dancing and swimming keep hearts, bodies and immune systems strong.
- Healthy diet: Getting the right nutrients will strengthen your immune system, so it’s important to eat correctly and have a healthy, varied diet. Fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamin C, E, beta-carotene and zinc are great, so try including lots of leafy greens like spinach as well as tomatoes and oranges, to complement a diet of wholegrains and lean protein.
- Reduce stress and loneliness: While depression and stress are very real health issues in the senior community, isolation and anxiety can also have a detrimental effect on the immune system. Keeping socially active with friends and loved ones, joining social groups and clubs, as well as speaking to professionals about these issues help make us less vulnerable to a huge range of health conditions, and improve quality of life.
- Hygiene: Because germs are primarily passed through physical contact, washing hands regularly is a must. Avoid touching your face or eyes after being in a public space and covering sneezes and coughs is essential.
- Stay hydrated: Whatever the weather, stay hydrated. Seniors often feel less thirsty, but that doesn’t mean they need less fluid. Eight to nine glasses of fluid a day (includes water, tea, soup, coffee, juice, etc.) keeps mucous membranes healthy and actively reduces the chance of infections.
Assisted living and nursing home care in Camden County, NJ
Collingswood is part of United Methodist Communities, a network of senior living and assisted living communities specializing in high quality care and support. Our assisted living community in Camden County, NJ, is known for its beautiful setting, spacious residential apartments and wide range of services for residents. With qualified and experienced nursing, therapy and management staff on hand to provide assistance, residents enjoy all the benefits of independent senior living.
In addition to our assisted living campuses, we also offer a range of long term care services, including hospice and palliative care, short term rehabilitation and respite care. Our aim is to keep our residents “aging in place,” ensuring that they stay in the comfort of familiar surroundings in their own private apartment even as their care needs change.
Original content posted on https://umcommunities.org/blog/immune-system-boosting-tips-seniors/