2018 is here and January is the perfect time to evaluate our lives, address challenges and move forward with positivity. For caregivers, this is an especially important time, so our in-home respite care services team has put some New Year’s resolutions together just for you:
- Ask for help when it’s needed. No matter how prepared, life gets in the way and throws all kinds of curveballs in our direction. Whatever the challenge, as a caregiver it isn’t your job to face it alone. Whether you need a family member to step in when you have a commitment to meet for your child or career, or you need a skilled nurse to deliver respite care services to help your loved one heal, finding the right help when you need it is an important part of being a great caregiver.
- Take time for yourself. Despite meeting the challengers of caregiving, even the best caregivers can find themselves burning out if they don’t take some time off. This doesn’t mean time off for other commitments — it means time off for just you. It will leave you feeling de-stressed, relaxed and refreshed, so upon your return, you can deliver the best quality of care.
- Look after your health and happiness. Staying healthy and putting your wellbeing first might sound selfish, but the reality is that it’s best for everyone – especially you. Caregivers need to be mentally and physically healthy to take on this demanding position, so it’s important not to neglect yourself.
- Don’t take on everything. Even if you are the primary caregiver for a loved one, it’s important that other family members pitch in and do their share. Caregiving is best when it’s done by a team! This can be as simple as doing the grocery shopping, fixing things around the house, providing transportation, or even companionship. If family members live too far away, financial contributions can be a big help, and you could hire home health aide services to help carry out the responsibilities.
- Join a support group. Only people in similar positions can understand what it’s like to be a caregiver. They can offer invaluable support when you are going through a difficult time or are up against new challenges. It’s also a great way to share your expertise with others who are new to family caregiving, and help make their journey a little smoother.
In-home respite care services – Whenever you need a compassionate helping hand
Whether you need residential in home respite care in NJ or need someone qualified and experienced to assist your loved one on a more permanent basis, we are here to help through our HomeWorks program. Our staff are fully certified in New Jersey and have extensive senior care training and experience, so please feel free to ask for formal certification and references.
For more information on our home care aide services in NJ, please contact us today or visit our website at https://homeworks.umcommunities.org/
Original content posted on https://homeworks.umcommunities.org/blog/5-new-years-resolutions-caregivers/