Early diagnosis of health conditions is essential for fast and effective treatment, especially when you’re in your senior years. Comprehensive medical check-ups can help keep you fit, healthy and enjoying life to the fullest! Here are the most important screenings for seniors, from our CCRC in Sussex County, New Jersey:
- Blood pressure and cholesterol. Your blood pressure should be checked once a year by your physician, or more often if you suffer from high blood pressure. It’s recommended that your cholesterol be checked with a test for lipids every three years as a senior, or more often if you suffer from high cholesterol.
- Colorectal cancer exams. After the age of 50, you should have this exam once every 10 years, or more frequently if you have a family history of colorectal cancer or if polyps have been found during a previous exam. Because colorectal cancer is highly treatable, it is important to detect early.
- Vaccinations. Seniors should have a tetanus booster shot every 10 years, as well as an annual flu vaccine. At age 65, get a pneumococcal vaccine to protect against infections like pneumonia, sinusitis, meningitis, endocarditis, pericarditis and inner ear infections.
- Eye exams. As your vision can quickly deteriorate as you age, it’s important to schedule an annual eye test. This will pick up any deterioration in your eyesight as well as check for age-related eye conditions like glaucoma and cataracts. Early diagnosis is key to safeguarding your eyesight.
- Hearing tests. It’s recommended that you get your hearing tested every two to three years.
- Bone density scans. Osteoporosis, a serious and incurable disease, affects millions of Americans, especially women. A bone density scan, which is recommended at age 65, measures bone mass and records any bone loss, as well as give you access to crucial early treatment.
- Diabetes test. A quick and easy blood sugar test is the best way to screen for diabetes, a disease that affects millions of Americans. Catching this disease early will make treatment easier, and will help prevent much of the damage this disease can cause if left untreated.
Community Living for Seniors at our CCRC in Sussex County, NJ
Bristol Glen is an independent senior living community based in Sussex County that aims to provide seniors with comfortable, serviced living arrangements that free up your time to enjoy life. With an experienced team and a lively social calendar, we focus on providing essential resources that promote independence and quality of life.
Original content posted on https://umcommunities.org/blog/dont-miss-7-essential-health-screenings/