The senior living industry is growing in the USA, with over 40,000 assisted living communities in the country catering to their residents. That’s a lot of choice and it’s easy to see why selecting the right assisted living community can seem like an overwhelming task. Here are some tips from the team at our assisted living community in Gloucester County, NJ.
Our Best Tip? Always Take a Tour of the Assisted Living Community
A tour is the best way to get to know a community, meet the staff and find out if it’s a good fit for you or your loved one. Here’s a checklist for your visit:
- Cleanliness, hygiene and maintenance. The facility should feel clean and fresh and be in good repair. Ask about how often the apartments are cleaned and what kind of maintenance is provided — and don’t forget to ask about laundry services, too.
- Staff friendliness. The quality of the staff can make or break the assisted living experience. Watch how staff members interact with residents, find out how many staff members are routinely available to assist and how the team works. Chat with the management team about their vision for the community and how they are achieving their strategic goals.
- Meals and dining. The dining experience is another key element to assess quality of resident life. Be sure to discuss meal choices, the availability of meals and snacks throughout the day. Find out if they are nutritionally balanced and the policies on family and friends dining with their loved ones. Also, ask what the procedure is if a resident wants to eat in their apartment or is unable to join in the communal space.
- Personal care and assisted living services. The extent and organization of the services offered is unique to each, so it’s vital that you talk about exactly what they can and cannot provide. Scalable services, both medical and activities of daily living, are good options, as it means your loved one can stay long-term, even if their needs escalate as they age.
- Move out criteria. Some assisted living communities are not equipped to manage certain health conditions or other issues, which may mean that you or your loved one would have to move out under certain circumstances. This can be very challenging and confusing for any resident, so be sure that you know their specific move out criteria before you sign up.
- Follow your instincts. Take the time to envision yourself or your loved one living day-to-day in the community. Consider some important questions. Would you feel comfortable and at home there? Would you feel happy to visit loved ones there? Or as a resident; welcome visitors? Would it give you peace of mind? You know yourself and your loved one better than anyone, after all!
A Warm and Welcoming Community – Assisted Living Gloucester County
Pitman is an assisted living community in Gloucester County, NJ, offering high quality, scalable assisted living services in a comfortable, well-supported and beautiful environment. As part of the United Methodist Communities network, we also offer rehabilitation, access to therapists, hospice care, respite care and memory care and support services. We welcome seniors from all faith backgrounds.
To find out more about our assisted living community, please visit our website at https://pitman.umcommunities.org/ contact us today or book a personal tour.
Original content posted on https://umcommunities.org/blog/start-the-new-year-by-choosing-the-right-assisted-living-community/