Here are some ideas from the team at our CCRC in Sussex County New Jersey for spending quality time with your loved ones this summer:
- Pack a picnic lunch and dine at the local park. When the weather is great, there’s nothing like gathering the family together for a picnic in one of the beautiful local and state parks! Memory Park in Newton is great if you have active young kids who want to run around while you sit and relax.
Swartswood State Park, a 3,460-acre protected area spreading across both Stillwater and Hampton townships in Sussex County, is fantastic for whole-day family events as there are lots of activities as well as beautiful scenery.
Waterloo Village, a restored 19th-century canal town in Byram Township, offers a trip down memory lane with historic buildings and pretty canal walks.
- Attend free summer concerts. Thursdays on the Green is a free summer concert series hosted by the Sussex County Community College that’s become a much-loved tradition for local residents. This year, the line-up features everything from country music and Broadway hits to folk, jazz and classic rock.
There will be food vendors, artisanal stalls and giveaways — all you need are your picnic blankets and chairs. Performances start at 6:30pm on the Connor Green.
- Spend time on the beach or lake. Sussex County has many beautiful miles of beach and lake shores and summer is the perfect time to plan a family day trip. Sand Beach is a safe haven for swimming, picnicking and relaxing. There are lovely grassy areas, too!
Cranberry Lake is another popular option with two swimming beaches (including a toddler-friendly beach), sailing and boating facilities and a snack shack.
- Create a family memory book. Crafts are another fun way to pass the time and enjoy some quality time with your loved one. A memory book filled with the adventures you’ve had together is a great project! Get all your crafting gear together, print photos and settle down to share some memories and laughs, while creating a lasting souvenir.
- Make a pie with seasonal fruit. If you and your loved one share a passion for baking, then summer is the perfect time to make everyone’s favorite dessert — pie! Visit a farmer’s market like the Sussex County Farmer’s Market or Andersen Farms to pick up the freshest and tastiest fruit of the season and enjoy a delicious day together.
Please take care during all outdoor activities this summer and remember sun hats, sunglasses, sunscreen and cover-ups for your seniors — and stay hydrated!
Live Life to the Fullest with Our Scalable CCRC in Sussex County, NJ
Bristol Glen, an independent senior living community in Sussex County, provides seniors with comfortable living choices that free up time to enjoy life.
Original content posted on https://umcommunities.org/blog/5-options-for-summertime-fun-with-seniors/