The holidays are a wonderful time for families to get together for some quality time, but it can be a challenge to keep younger children occupied while they’re visiting their grandparents.
Here are a few ideas for fun activities everyone can enjoy together, from our team at our CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community) in Sussex County, New Jersey:
- There are so many wonderful books out there for younger children that adults also enjoy, from the “Harry Potter” series to the classics like “Nancy Drew” or “The Gruffalo.” Sitting down together and reading a book is a quiet, but fun way to spend a few hours together.
- Pajama parties. Snuggle up together on a chilly winter night, eat snacks and watch Christmas movies! Pick a few special treats for the night, like popcorn, homemade cupcakes or pizza, and get ready for a night in.
- Deck the halls. Decorating your apartment and Christmas tree creates special memories with your grandkids and initiates magical results. There are many little handmade decorations for children who love arts and crafts, and they’ll transform your home with tinsel, lights and more!
- Many adults have wonderful memories of baking with their grandparents, even if they spent most of their time sneaking cookie dough and dropping flour all over the floor. While it’s a messy event, your grandkids will love the tasty results! For younger grandchildren, you can even pre-bake cookies and set up a decorating station for an easier and more child-friendly day.
- Lend a helping hand. The festive season is about community and sharing, so introducing your grandkids to how they can help those around them brings the spirit of the holidays to life. There are lots of age-appropriate activities available, from helping make cookie deliveries to older members of your CCRC who don’t have family around, to helping at a local soup kitchen.
Festive season fun at our CCRC and assisted living community in Sussex County
Bristol Glen, an independent senior living community based in Sussex County, is part of the United Methodist Communities network of high-quality, non-profit senior living communities specializing in independent and assisted living for seniors. We provide seniors with comfortable, serviced living arrangements that free up time to enjoy life. At our continuing care retirement community we provide essential resources that promote independence and abundant life.
Contact us to find out more about our CCRC and our assisted living facilities, amenities and services. Please visit our website at https://bristolglen.umcommunities.org/ and book your visit today.
Original content posted on https://umcommunities.org/blog/fun-activities-grandkids-visiting-ccrc/