Recently, the State of New Jersey has started implementing and expanding its Medical Marijuana Program (MMP). Here’s some information about what this means for seniors in the state and how this affects them, from our CCRC in Sussex County, New Jersey.
What conditions are treatable with medical marijuana?
Because these are changing all the time as new health conditions are considered and laws are amended, always check with your medical doctor to see if you are eligible. Currently, the following conditions are approved in the program:
• Terminal cancer
• Multiple Sclerosis
• Muscular Dystrophy
• Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease
• Terminal illness with less than 12 months prognosis
• Seizure disorder
• Intractable skeletal muscular spasticity
• PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
• Treatment of severe or chronic pain resulting from HIV, AIDS and cancer
Registering for the Medical Marijuana Program
To register for the MMP, your eligibility must be evaluated by a doctor registered with the MMP. If your own doctor is not registered as a MMP practitioner, they can recommend a physician who can assist. You can also find a registered doctor through the NJ MMP website.
Additional information for people interested in this treatment and their eligibility:
• Only medical marijuana cards registered in the State of New Jersey can be used within New Jersey.
• Patients who cannot easily travel to an Alternative Treatment Center can designate a qualified caregiver to obtain their medicinal marijuana on their behalf. This person will need to be registered with the NJ MMP, but only if they are collecting it on a patient’s behalf.
• Medical marijuana is not currently covered by Medicaid or other health plans in New Jersey.
• Patients’ dosage will be prescribed by their MMP registered physician.
Independent senior living in our Sussex County continuing care retirement community Bristol Glen, an independent senior living community based in Sussex County and part of United Methodist Communities, is dedicated to providing seniors with comfortable, living arrangements and services that free up their time to enjoy life.
Contact us to find out more about our CCRC and our assisted living facilities, amenities and services.
Original content posted on https://umcommunities.org/blog/medical-marijuana-new-jersey-need-know/