Long summer days are almost here and New Jersey residents will soon be swimming, barbecuing and exploring the outdoors! Although long anticipated, this weather does carry some risks for seniors, as they are more vulnerable to the effects of the heat and sun. Here are some tips from our in-home senior care specialists in NJ on how to stay safe and healthy in the heat:
- Drink lots of liquids. Dehydration is a serious risk for seniors, as they are often less aware of their bodies’ signals for liquid. This is a common part of the aging process, but is especially problematic in seniors with dementia. The recommended allowance of 8 ounces per day can include water, fruit juices, herbal tea or electrolyte drinks.
- Dress for the weather. Light, natural fabrics that allow the skin to breathe will help regulate body temperature. Dark fabrics attract heat, while lighter colors reflect it, helping to cool the body.
- Be sun safe. As we age our skin becomes more vulnerable to sun damage. Use a high SPF (sun protection factor) of 30 or more to protect skin. While outdoors wear a hat and sunglasses to block harmful UVA and UVB rays that can damage eyesight. It’s also important to stay indoors during the peak heat of the day, from around 11am to 3pm when the sun is at its strongest and the risks of burning and dehydration are highest.
- Air conditioning. Keeping the air in your home cool is the best way to stay healthy in the heat. It’s recommended that homes don’t exceed 85 degrees Fahrenheit for a significant amount of time. If there is no air conditioning, visita mall, the movies or a friend’s house to get some relief. A cool bath or shower will also help regulate body temperature.
- Check in. If you have elderly loved ones or neighbors, give them a quick call on hot days to make sure they are coping with the heat. You can use the opportunity to catch up, see if their air conditioning is on and working properly or even plan an outing to somewhere cooler.
- Know the signs of heatstroke. Heatstroke can affect anyone, but seniors are especially vulnerable because they have a difficult time regulating body temperature — with potentially deadly consequences. Symptoms include confusion and disorientation, headaches, nausea, exhaustion and a rapidly beating pulse. If you recognize these signs, call for medical attention immediately and get the affected person out of the heat and into a cool environment. Have them lie down and place ice packs or cold wet towels on their body until help arrives.
Compassionate, Skilled Senior Homecare Services in New Jersey
At United Methodist Communities, we strive to offer the very best quality senior independent homecare options, from assisted living to in-homecare through our HomeWorks program. This program assists older adults in the comfort of their own homes and provides them, their families and caregivers with personalized, compassionate care that prioritizes health, happiness and independence. In addition to daily homecare we also offer pastoral care for spiritual and emotional support in the home.
For more information on our senior home care services for the elderly, please contact us today at https://homeworks.umcommunities.org/.
Original content posted on https://homeworks.umcommunities.org/blog/making-summer-safety-tips-seniors/
Home health aide services are more than simply getting household chores done or managing medication and healthcare services for seniors. They’re about providing essential support so seniors can live the fullest, most rewarding lives possible. Here’s how we do it:
- Staying in the comfort of your home and community: If moving into assisted living isn’t something you want or simply doesn’t make sense from a financial or other perspective,senior home care services can help. By bridging that gap between full independence and living in an assisted living community, home healthaide services can make living in your home easy again. This means the comfort of familiar surroundings, as well as staying within your community and social circles.
- Health monitoring: Chronic disease management is about staying on top of medical conditions before they become a more severe problem. In an unobtrusive way, home health aides will help you track your health data to ensure more effective management of chronic diseases y. This directly leads to better health, less falls in the home and less time in hospitals.
- Emotional and spiritual support: While friends and family are a wonderful source of love and support, many seniors feel a lack of spiritual support as part of their medical and health care program. This is why HomeWorksoffers pastoral care. .Compassionate, community-based companionship brings a great source of spiritual wellbeing to many seniors and yields essential support for health and happiness.
- Custom care: Is your health still good but you’re struggling with daily housework? Does your partner need special assistance to deal with a chronic medical condition or Alzheimer’s? Whatever your needs, home care services can be tailored to meet them , so you aren’t paying more than you should be or getting more assistance than you require. These services can also be scaled up or down as you need them, making it easier and more affordable to get high quality assistance without sacrificing your independence.
Custom, affordable senior home care services in New Jersey for a full, independent life
United Methodist Communities in New Jersey, strives to offer the very best quality senior care options, from assisted living to in-home care through our elderly in-home care HomeWorks program. This program assists older adults in the comfort of their own homes and provides them, their families and caregivers with personalized, compassionate care that prioritizes health, happiness and independence. We can assist you with in-home respite care, overnight care, hourly or live-in care, as well as experienced care for Alzheimer’s and dementia patients.
For more information on our home health aide services for the elderly, please contact us today.
Original content posted on https://homeworks.umcommunities.org/blog/home-health-aide-services-can-help-live-abundant-life/
It’s the beginning of 2017, a perfect time to commit to resolutions that make your life more enjoyable, healthy and fun. So why not join our SeniorFITness wellness program? These classes are specifically designed for seniors, making them safe and enjoyable as well as highly beneficial. Here are some more reasons to join in this New Year from our specialists in New Jersey on home help services for the elderly.
- Improve strength, balance and mobility: As we get older, it becomes more and more difficult to lead a physically active life – but, at the same time, we all want to maintain our independence. Whether your goals are to move easily and without getting out of breath while walking, to get out and join a local walking club or to get back to old hobbies you once loved like dancing, a senior wellness program will help you achieve it.
- Essential fall prevention: Falls are one of the greatest concerns for seniors, their families and caregivers alike. Not only are we more likely to fall as we get older, the consequences of falls can be far more serious – resulting in trips to the emergency room and long recovery periods rather than the usual bumps and bruises that fade away. One of the best ways to prevent falls is to help ensure that you are steady on your feet, and this means working on core strength, keeping fit and staying as active as possible. Joining a wellness program specifically for seniors is a great idea, as trainers are skilled exercise physiologists who know exactly how to work with you to bring gentle but rewarding results.
- Recover after hospitalization, operations or illness: After a fall, an illness or a stay in hospital, many seniors feel far weaker than they did before and struggle to recover quickly. SeniorFITness is managed by rehabilitation specialists who understand the specific needs of seniors and will work with you to help speed up your recovery.
- It’s fun and social: This aspect is often overlooked, but having a healthy social life is just as important as caring for your body and mind. Senior wellness programs are a great way to meet new people, and the atmosphere of teamwork, support and encouragement is a wonderful motivator for helping you achieve your goals.
Affordable and compassionate help for seniors at home
At United Methodist Communities, we strive to offer the very best quality senior care options, from assisted living to in home senior care through our HomeWorks program. This program is about assisting the elderly in the comfort of their own homes and providing them, their families and caregivers with personalized, compassionate care that prioritizes health, happiness and independence.
For more information on our at home care for the elderly, please contact us today.
Original content posted on https://homeworks.umcommunities.org/blog/new-year-take-fun-senior-care-social-class-remember/