Although it sometimes feels like it, getting old isn’t all about dealing with different health issues – it’s about enjoying your life. Here are the best tips from our CCRC in Sussex County, New Jersey on how to stay in the best shape:
- It’s never too late to get healthy. Whether you’re a smoker, never participated in a sport or hate your vegetables, getting older doesn’t mean the time to make these changes is past. Even in your 60s and 70s, you can reduce the risks of chronic disease significantly, and that means more time with friends, family and loved ones.
- Start slow with exercise. Exercise has a massive impact on your health, happiness, and well being, by controlling your body weight, reducing risk of dementia, lowering blood pressure, and strengthening muscles, thereby reducing your risk of falling. It’s advisable to speak first to your doctor about the best exercise for your body, so that you get fit in a healthy way. Exercise can also be a great excuse for socializing and working together with friends to keep you all motivated!
- Stretch. Stretching is important for preventing stiffness, preventing injuries from exercise, and improving flexibility. It also helps relieve discomfort resulting from health conditions such as fibromyalgia and arthritis. Try a yoga class for seniors at your local wellness center or gym, and get in sync with your body.
- Eat healthier. Changing your diet is a simple way to boost your health, but it does not mean you have to avoid the food you love – providing your doctor approves. Speak to your doctor about ways you can improve your diet, like adding more leafy greens and fresh fruit, and cutting out fatty foods in favor of healthy foods rich in essential fatty acids. This will help lower blood pressure, lower risks of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer, and give your body a better immune response.
- Prevention is better than a cure. Preventative measures keep your body healthy and help stop issues from getting worse, much like servicing a vehicle every year instead of waiting for it to break down. Having your yearly flu shot, cancer screening, and eye examination as well as paying attention to warning signals from your body, are important ways to prevent bigger medical issues.
Live life to the full at our CCRC in Sussex County, New Jersey
Bristol Glen, an independent senior living community based in Sussex County, provides seniors comfortable, serviced living arrangements that free up time to enjoy life. Founded on a philosophy of aging in place, our continuing care retirement community residents enjoy a less restrictive care model aims to keep residents in their residential apartments for as long as possible, with access additional services as their needs change.
Original content posted on https://umcommunities.org/blog/best-tips-healthy-aging/